Thursday, April 14, 2011

Case of the Missing Purse

Woke up this morning, around 9:00, after a pretty good sleep. We were not sure how long it would take to get to the first of three locks so figured we needed to get crack -a -lackin'. I wanted to go to the marina store to get two more gallons of drinking water and a tooth brush, as I forgot mine and was suffering from a bad case of fuzzy teeth. Got dressed and went to grab for my purse but it was not in its usual resting place. Looked EVERYWHERE and no purse. Now I'm upset because I can't remember where else it might be and if it's lost, every card will need to be canceled. Am also upset because I'm feeling like I'm ready for Aricept. WTH did I do with my purse? I decide it's either fallen in some crevice on the boat or I've left it at the restaurant from the night before.

I call the restaurant and no one answers but am prompted to leave a message. I try not to sound too panicked while relating my dilemma and ask for someone to call me back with any info re: the awol purse. David & I look in the most unlikely places on the boat, at least twice, possibly three times, but nada. It's now about 11:00 so we walk back to the restaurant. The side door is open and a chef is the only one there. I explain what I think happened and he graciously looks under the cash register but to no avail. He informs us that the person who has a key to the office will not arrive until 1:00. If the purse is there he will have someone call me. We thank him for his efforts and trudge back to the boat. I'm feeling stupid and depressed.

We make the decision that if the purse is at the restaurant, it can stay there until we return from our trip. If the purse is NOT there, I will start calling all the cards to cancel. Either way, we will continue on the trip. In case we are without credit cards for a few days, cash is retrieved from a cash machine so we can eat and buy gas. David says he's going to the marina office to get some info on this next leg of the journey. I'm cleaning up the cabin/galley area and David is sitting at the aft seating area. I hear, "Hey, come here!" so I go topside. David has found the purse.

The night before, he was zipping the window in the Eisenglass and stepped on the seat cushion. As he did, it caved and flipped sideways. His foot fell through and I screamed. David was not hurt and I forgot all about the incident. Well, my purse was on the seat cushion and it went down into the storage compartment without either one of us noticing. And that's where it was!




So we finally departed at about 11:20 and got to the Franklin Lock at 12:10. Come to find out that the one and only time the lock will open, in the afternoon, is at 1:00, so we lucked out but have to wait 50 minutes. No problemo, we'll do lunch! There are other boats waiting as well.

At 1:00 the lock gate starts to open. The waiting flotilla all bring in their anchors and get ready to bolt, as fast as idle speed will take us, at the green light.


The lock passage was uneventful and now it's on to the next one.





There are three boats that are traveling at about the same speed so we make it to the next lock together. While hanging on to the side ropes. David strikes up a conversation with the captain of the boat behind us. He tells David that they arrived at the Franklin lock at 9:00am because they were told the lock would open every two hours on the odd hour. Today, that was not the case. The schedule was changed in the morning and wasn't posted on the internet until then so no one was aware of the change. We felt very lucky to have arrived when we did and did not miss our one chance to get through.

Arrived at Roland Martin's
in Clewiston, on the west side of Lake Okeechobee, at around 5:00pm. Very easy dock in.

Took a hot shower, dressed and went to the outdoor Tiki Bar for dinner.


Were joined by the couple from the other boat, the TnT. Had a lovely dinner and conversation with Tom & Trish. They are heading in the same direction as us tomorrow so we exchanged info. The last lock we have to get through has only one opening at 1:00 in the afternoon, like the first lock, so we will have to wake up early to make it there in time. If we miss that, the next opportunity is at 7:00 in the evening, and that will make us very late for dinner.

Better get some Z's 'cause we've got an early get-up.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friends,

    Congratulations on your brilliant idea!

    The purse story was excellent -- I'll be checking in every day to hear more exciting news.

    In the meantime, may you have favorable weather, open locks, amazing nature adventures and delightful food and drink.

    Thinking of you both...

    ReplyDelete