Saturday, April 23, 2011

Another great day!

Have booked a snorkeling trip for 2:00 this afternoon. We're told to show up no later than 1:00 so we plan our day. The snorkeling place is 2.5 miles from us so we will bike there and decide to leave our boat at noon in order to leave enough time for any unexpected complications. David & I think we should eat around 11:00 so we can be done with lunch, bike out to Dive Key West and get checked in.

We decide to have lunch at the Bagatelle, right on Duval Street. They serve breakfast all day so I get a crab Benedict, that was heavenly. The place is very tropical, no AC, but very pleasant and comfortable. Service was good, as well. Time to bike back and get ready for the snorkel trip.

I call to see if we need to bring anything and the guy on the other end of the call tells me that we may want to cancel because there are high winds. We know what that's about and so decide to cancel. This decision frees up our afternoon so now what to do?

Let's go to the hardware store! We hop on our bikes and ride the 2 miles to Ace Hardware to get a few things. A woman in the store approaches me and asks if I can use a 50% off coupon. It's only good today and for one item up to $30. I say that, yes, I can use it to buy a door mat for the boat. The mat is $25 and I thought that was too much but with the coupon, it's doable.

Next we pedal to West Marine for a boat brush, then to the dive shop for a mask & snorkel, in case we decide to go snorkeling on our own.

We have now been on the boat for 10 days so, with no real plans for this afternoon, I decide to do some laundry. There's enough for one full load which works out great. I go to the dock master's office to find out where the laundry is. Am given an electronic key to let me into the laundry facility, which also includes the showers & bathrooms. Am also charged $25 for the key, which will be deleted upon its return.

While waiting for the laundry to launder, I catch some rays on the bow and listen to the sounds of the marina. I'm feeling very lucky. David & I finish up our chores just in time for happy hour. Do I detect a theme here? As we enjoy the "hour", it's decided that we'll take in the sunset on the seventh floor of the La Concha Hotel. Shoot for getting there at 7:00 in order to get a good viewing place.

When we arrive, there are already lots of sunset celebrants. There is a bar inside the patio and a guitar player performing Jimmy Buffet's repertoire outside. Very much a party atmosphere. The main rail viewing area is already completely occupied but we go around the corner and the view is just as wonderful so we stake our claim. While waiting for the sun event, we meet a couple from New York and a couple from Minnesota. As is customary, we exchange info of our favorite things i.e. restaurants and things to do. After another beautiful sunset, we head off to Camille's for dinner on the bikes.

This place was recommended by two people and written up as being a very good choice, especially for breakfast, but we are doing dinner. The hostess greets us with a big smile and bubbly personality. David & I notice that is is quite warm and are wondering if it will be too hot. As we get our drinks we feel the AC kick in and feel better about the temp issue. A few minutes later, we notice a guy messing with the thermostat and continue to feel some cool so I guess we weren't the only ones feeling the heat.

Looking at the menu, everything looks really good but the lamb chops sound particularly appealing. I never thought I would order anything but fish here in Key West but I just couldn't resist. David decides to order the same. We were not disappointed and David feels like this is the best meal we've had so far, which is saying alot. This place also has a great wine selection available by the glass. I heard that the Key Lime Pie is the best but resist the urge. Perhaps another time.

Time to bike home, in the dark. We have our flashing lights so are not too worried that we won't be seen. Make it back to the boat without incident, for which I am grateful. A little blogging then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment